Every kid loves pasta!! This one is a super healthy version of it and you would be more than happy, to offer your kid a second helping!!
Red and orange vegetables make for one serious health boost. Pumpkins are loaded with Vitamin A, C, K, and potassium. This pumpkin pasta recipe for kids is loaded with these.
What you need for the Pumpkin Pasta recipe for kids:
- 1 cup Pumpkin ( diced into chunks)
- 3/4th cup carrot ( diced into chunks)
- 1/2 cup tomato ( diced into chunks)
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 5-6 cashew nuts
- 1 bowl boiled pasta( whole wheat/ ragi/ buckwheat)
- 1/2 onion ( finely chopped)
- Assorted steamed vegetables ( American corn, zucchini, bell pepper, capsicums, mushroom, broccoli – whatever you have available)
- Spinach ( finely chopped)
- 4-5 Basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper powder
- Mixed dried herbs
- Coconut milk/ milk/ fresh cream ( optional)
- Water as needed
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
1. Pressure cook the pumpkin, carrot, tomato, cashew nuts, and garlic for 2-3 whistles.
2. Once it has cooled down and is at room temperature, blend it in a mixer.
3. In a nonstick pan, take some olive oil. Add some finely chopped garlic and onion and let it cook till it reaches a golden brown color.
4. Add the pumpkin sauce to the pan and let it simmer for another 2 min.
5. Next, add steamed assorted vegetables of your choice. Steaming the vegetables helps retain their nutrients. Add finely chopped spinach and give it a good mix
6. Add salt, pepper, and dry herbs. Tear some fresh basil leaves and give the entire sauce a good mix.
7. Add coconut milk/ fresh cream.
8. Lastly add the boiled pasta. I have used ragi pasta. Let it cook for a minute or so.
9. Can garnish with cheese. Serve warm
It works as a great meal and is packed with vegetables. Even if you choose not to add any additional ones, it’s great since the sauce is loaded with it.
- Can add chili flakes for older kids.
- Salt to be used after 1 year.
- Nuts are known allergens. Introduce individually and in the first half of the day for the first time.